At Fairisle Junior School, our maths curriculum is designed to provide children with the opportunity to develop their mental maths skills, fluency, reasoning and prepare them for the wide variety of problem-solving opportunities that they will encounter in their lives. In school, we follow the National Curriculum and use White Rose Schemes of Work as a guide to support teachers with their planning and assessment. Our children experience a sense of awe and wonder as they solve a problem for the first time, discover different solutions and make links between different areas of mathematics.
Key features of our Maths curriculum:
- Number sense and place value come first.
- Pre-assessments when appropriate to ensure the children are appropriately challenged.
- Focus on verbalising understanding using mathematical language.
- Problem solving and reasoning is central.
- CPA (concrete, pictorial, abstract) approach to support children with conceptual understanding.